Glovus Spotlight: Spencer Gillen
We sat down with UC Davis Goalkeeper and Glovus Athlete Spencer Gillen to learn more about his goalkeeping journey.
Why did you become a goalkeeper?
- I became a goalkeeper because I enjoyed the position and had a special talent for the position when I was younger.
Who or what inspires you to be a goalkeeper the most?
- The thrill of winning inspires me to be a goalkeeper
What is your biggest goal?
- My biggest goal is to fly my friends out to watch me play in the English Premier League
What was the best save you ever made?
- The best save I have ever made was when I saved a penalty kick to the top right corner in overtime to help my team advance in high school playoffs.
What was the worst mistake you ever made?
- My worst mistake was when I let a penalty kick go through my legs to lose the tournament, I reacted by crying the whole way home
What is your goalkeeping strength?
- My strength as a goalkeeper is making saves that should not be made
What’s one piece of advice you would give to your younger self?
- “Keep having fun"
If you could train with a professional goalkeeper active or retired who would it be?
- I would train with Gianluigi Donnarumma if I had the chance.